Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Or The Whale, Olin & The Moon, Leslie & The Badgers @ Silverlake Lounge ( 5/20/2009)

Or, the Whale

It was a folk-rock/alt-country night at Silverlake Lounge this Wednesday, and the show was well worth the trip.

I walked in for the last song and a half from Pilot Speed. They's from Toronto, play a variety of modern rock, and are on Wind-Up Records (none of which I knew before I saw them). I liked what I heard.

Leslie & The Badgers played next, and covered the twangy country spectrum. Leslie is sweet and has a great voice, and the band was in sync. Nashville should be all over this; they would make a good crossover band.

Or, the Whale followed. Before tonight I knew nothing about this band besides their name. They absolutely stole the show. Or, the Whale is from San Francisco and they simply have it together. Great folk/americana. Vocal harmonies (both male and female), a very talented keyboard player, and a lot of energy. They're releasing a new album in September, and hopefully that will coincide with playing some more LA shows. This is a band I will be seeing again.

Here's a video clip:



Olin & the Moon closed out the night. The entire show was very off schedule, so while Olin was supposed to be on at 11 they didn't take the stage until 11:40, and by then Silverlake Lounge was mostly empty. You can probably see where I'm going with this: it wasn't their best set and they knew it.

Pictures:

Or, The Whale


Leslie & The Badgers


Olin & The Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment